Re>Think Local is a nonprofit collaborative of locally owned independent businesses, artists, farmers, and nonprofits working to co-create a better Hudson Valley: vibrant, sustainable, locally rooted and human scale, with equal concern for people, planet, and prosperity.
Nationally, we’re affiliated with BALLE, the fastest-growing business alliance of values-aligned entrepreneurs, business networks and local economy funders in North America. Through them we’re connected to 30,000 innovators and 80 local business networks like ours.
We’ve accomplished a great deal in our initial 18 months and are poised to embark on a major, multi-platform, multi-year campaign — Go Local Hudson Valley — that will create real value for our members and, we believe, real impact in the region.
We’re fortunate to have funding and advisory support from the Local Economies Project of the New World Foundation. We’re also fortunate to have an engaged Board of Directors and Advisory Council, eager to see Re>Think succeed.
A new executive director is critical to our continued success. The ED should have breadth and depth in both strategic aptitude and tactical prowess. Perhaps more importantly, the ED must buy into a shared vision of Re>Think’s mission.
It’s important to understand that this is a flexible position — and will largely be shaped by the person we feel is the best fit for us. The points below are simply guidelines. For now, it’s a contract position reporting to the volunteer Board of Directors. We are a virtual organization, though there’s an option to work occasionally from our funder’s office in Kingston and BEAHIVE in Beacon. You must provide your own computer, phone, etc.
- Work closely with Board and staff to lead development and implementation of programs, initiatives and strategic priorities.
- Recommend strategic direction for programming to meet mission, serve membership, and reach financial goals.
- Plan and manage organization budgets, marketing, recruitment, staffing, and administration.
- Cultivate and manage organizational partnerships, business sponsorships, media relations, and engagement pathways for volunteers.
- Lead development and fundraising activities, including grant writing and special events fundraising, in tandem with the Board Development committee.
- Act as liaison to Board, attending monthly meetings and retreats.
- Represent Re>Think at local, county and region-wide meetings and events. Be a worthy ambassador.
Qualities + Qualifications
- Passion for Re>Think’s mission.
- Team player with strong management, relationship-building and communications skills. Demonstrated ability to motivate people and manage activities, ideally, in a volunteer-run organization.
- Must be an autonomous self-starter, entrepreneurial, imaginative, highly organized and capable of functioning effectively in a startup, independent environment.
- Education and/or experience in one or more of the following areas are desirable: commercial district management, economics, finance, PR, marketing, planning, business administration, public administration, fundraising and small business and nonprofit development.
- High EQ (emotional intelligence) and strong leadership skills.
- Have a point of view, but act as a consensus builder.
- Familiarity with Ulster, Dutchess and Orange county organizations, nonprofit climate, government agencies, business environment.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to issues confronting small businesses. Familiarity with for-profit business models and realities.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends.
- Savvy with digital business/productivity tools.
Competitive for the Hudson Valley and dependent upon how the position is shaped.
Email résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include compensation requirements.